The inspected structure is a structurally independent building, under construction, consists of 1 basement, 1 ground floor and 4 floors located in Athens, close to seaside area.
The design follows the concept of using a steel frame of HEB beams and columns in a typical pattern. Slabs are casted-in-situ. The construction was initiated in 2009. Site works were postponed for more than a decade and restarted in 2022.
In order to record the current condition of building’s steel elements, considering the long period of their exposure to weather conditions, an inspection program including Non-Destructive Testing (NDT) was scheduled so as to define the current condition and proposed actions regarding repair and rehabilitation.
The inspection performed by HiSCS Inspectors and NDT technicians and was flourished with the following NDT:
- Visual inspection of welding at columns and beams.
- Welding check using the ACFM (Alternating Current Field Measurement), a modern technique which allows to perform the check above painting layers (no need for removal and restoration of the paint).
- Steel thickness measurements, especially at rusted and oxidated areas.
- Paint thickness measurements.
- Check of nuts torque at steel elements connections using a mechanical and hydraulic torque
Based on the inspection findings an inspection – evaluation report has been delivered to the Owner, including the design of the needed repair and rehabilitation works, specifying the necessary actions so as to ensure the structural adequacy of the steel structure.